CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Revolutionary Period




"Give me Liberty or Give me Death" - Patrick Henry











There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free--if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending--if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained--we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all that is left us! They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength but irresolution and inaction?

Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us.



Reflection:

For me I thought that this speech was nothing more than some normal guy talking about wanting a war and complaining about taxes; but as I have read the speech I see the though process that Henry put into this speech along with language that shows deep personal connection to what he is talking about: "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country". Henry uses his speech as a tool to show people what he believe is the only option for "his" country to prosper and have freedom. This speech shows that as a public speaker Henry is standing up for what he thinks is right whether others are on his side or not; "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death". Henry also gets his audience emotionally attached to what he is saying by point out how naive the people are being in terms of how Britain is treating the country; "Sir, we have done everything that could be done to avert the storm which is now coming on. We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne, and have implored its interposition to arrest the tyrannical hands of the ministry and Parliament. Our petitions have been slighted; our remonstrances have produced additional violence and insult; our supplications have been disregarded; and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne". I believe that this Henry is an amazing public speaker who greatly influenced the minds of the American public.




Dear Diary,

Today I heard Patrick Henry's speech "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" and though I have a very sceptical opinion on if we should go to war or not this speech was excellently done and much than convincing enough to make me agree with him. I have before wondered if this war against Britain is necessary because they have been a kind of mother ducking to the forming of the States showing us what to do and supporting us. Now taking a closer look at the situation after this speech I have decided that the abuse in which we have endured such as over taxation; is more than enough reason to go to war.







"The Crisis"- Thomas Paine







"Not all the treasures of the world, so far as I believe, could have
induced me to support an offensive war, for I think it murder; but if a thief breaks
into my house, burns and destroys my property, and kills or threatens to kill me,
or those that are in it, and to "bind me in all cases whatsoever" to his absolute
will, am I to suffer it? What signifies it to me, whether he who does it is a king or
a common man; my countryman or not my countryman; whether it be done by an
individual villain, or an army of them? If we reason to the root of things we shall
find no difference; neither can any just cause be assigned why we should punish
in the one case and pardon in the other."

Reflection:

In Paine's The Crisis he has a very strong opinion that war need to be done. Thomas Paine has a powerful voice and shows his disgust by saying "Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER," and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth". This shows that Paine believe that the taxation and the binding of the state's rights is a mark of slavery from the British. Thomas Paine uses this influential passage to show people why they must stand up and fight against the "tyranny" of Britain's King. He strongly implies that there need to be an US revolt against Britain when he says
"Not all the treasures of the world, so far as I believe, could have induced me to support an offensive war, for I think it murder; but if a thief breaks into my house, burns and destroys my property, and kills or threatens to kill me, or those that are in it, and to "bind me in all cases whatsoever" to his absolute will, am I to suffer it? What signifies it to me, whether he who does it is a king or a common man; my countryman or not my countryman; whether it be done by an
individual villain, or an army of them? If we reason to the root of things we shall find no difference; neither can any just cause be assigned why we should punish in the one case and pardon in the other"; This statement basically say that he is against savage war but he geniously compares war to someone breaking into you house, burning it and destroy and even threatening death what would you do? He uses pathos in this statement by using analogies that people can really relate to and say hey he has a point if someone was to brake in my house and do that I would want my revenge, which is exactly what Paine wants his reader to feel.

Dear Diary,

The war seems to be inevitable, there are many journalist writing of their opinions trying to convince people to think like them. There is one man that particularly has caught the attention of almost any person keeping up with the latest on this pre-war, journalism. He has proven through his piece "The Crisis" that he is a very powerful writer and has greatly influenced the minds of many people I know. As for me I completely agree with him that revolt is late coming but better than never. I only wish that our dependence on Britain was not so strong, this would most definitely help get many more supporters of the war. May god have his will in this matter.

0 comments: