CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 31, 2008

Puritan Era

Anne Bradstreet






To my Dear and Loving Husband


If ever two were one, then surely we.

If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.

If ever wife was happy in a man,

Compare with me, ye women, if you can.

I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold

Or all the riches that the East doth hold.

My love is such that Rivers canneot quench,

Nor ought but love from thee give recompetence.

Thy love is such I can no way repay.

The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.

Then while we live, in love let's so persever

That when we live no more, we may live ever.


Reflection:
As I read this poem what really catches my eyes is the unconditional love this woman seems to have for her husband. She says that she prizes the love of her husband over anything including any riches or gold. She also shows the depth of her love to her husband when she says, "My love is such that rivers cannot quench". She concludes her poem by saying even when they are no longer physically alive their love will still be alive.




Dear diary,

Today I have heard another poem. This one was written by a woman named Anne Bradstreet. In the poem she speaks of her unconditional love for her husband. Diary I wish I had a love like this in my life, the woman in the poems seems to be completely satisfied with her love and it is beautiful how shes writes about it. She says that she cherishes their love more than having mines of gold or any riches. This must be something so magical diary because I know it would take some kind of magic to make me give of that for a man.


















OLD AGE
MY memory is short, and braine is dry.
My Almond-tree, doth flourish now,
And back, once straight, begins apace to bow.
My grinders now are few, my sight doth faile
My skin is wrinkled, and my cheeks are pale.
No more rejoyce, at musickes pleasant noyse.















Reflection:



In this poem of old age Anne Bradstreet speaks of an almond tree that doesn't flourish, meaning that her hair is turning gray. This poem so a very negative view of going on such as when shes says "My Memory is short, and my brain is dry". This poem show the complexity of growing older and the physical and mental changes that happen.





Dear diary,



Today I have heard another poem. This one was written by a woman named Anne Bradstreet. In the poem she speaks of her unconditional love for her husband. Diary I wish I had a love like this in my life, the woman in the poems seems to be completely satisfied with her love and it is beautiful how shes writes about it. She says that she cherishes their love more than having mines of gold or any riches. This must be something so magical diary because I know it would take some kind of magic to make me give of that for a man.



Edward Taylor




Huswifery by Edward Taylor



Make me, O Lord, thy spinning wheel complete.
Thy Holy Word my distaff make for me.
Make mine affections thy swift flyers neat
And make my soul thy holy spool to be.
My conversation make to be thy reel
And reel the yarn thereon spun of thy wheel. Make me thy loom then, knit therein this twine:
And make thy Holy Spirit, Lord, wind quills:
Then weave the web thyself. The yarn is fine.
Thine ordinances make my fulling mills.
Then dye the same in heavenly colors choice,
All pinked with varnished flowers of paradise. Then clothe therewith mine understanding, will,
Affections, judgment, conscience, memory
My words, and actions, that their shine may fill
My ways with glory and thee glorify.
Then mine apparel shall display before ye
That I am clothed in holy robes for glory

Reflection: In this poem Taylor uses vivid imagery to compare the making of a robe to the way that god molds us as people. Taylor paints the picture to the reader making them see or feel exactly what he is saying; "pinked with varnished flowers of paradise" or "Then mine apparel shall display before ye That I am clothed in holy robes for glory". It is obvious that; Taylor has a strong connection with his writing which stands true to the Puritan Era because he glorifies God in such a way that end the non-believe are moved by this deep compassion that Taylor has for God.


Dear Diary,

The poem Huswifery by Edward Taylor was excellently written, the write takes something beautiful and glorious in life that has a creator and uses it as a template of gods works on people. It is personally hard for me to understand the comparison because weaving is not exactly my cup of tea, but in the same since if I were to write or mimic this poem I would used a subject I could relate that has a beautiful and glorious result too; such as horse back riding, or possible painting or singing.